ORCA/M is a complete development environment for assembly language programming on the Apple IIGS. It includes an assembler with the most powerful macro language ever implemented on an Apple II computer, a link editor, a scriptable command processor, several utilities, and a full screen text editor. You also get Apple's GSBug debugger, Rez compiler, and many programmer utilities - a $30 value - absolutely free!
Ever since ORCA/M was first released under DOS 3.3 in 1983, it has been hailed as the most powerful assembler available for the Apple line of computers. That's why Apple picked ORCA/M as the standard assembler for the Apple IIGS, shipping it under their name of Apple Programmer's Workshop (APW). Almost all Apple IIGS books and magazine articles, including Apple's, use ORCA/M for assembly language source code.
The development environment included with ORCA/M is fully
compatible with the Apple Programmer's Workshop (APW). You get a
professional quality UNIX-like text-based development environment
that works with any compiler or utility that is compatible with APW
or ORCA. If you prefer a desktop development environment with menus
and windows, you can use the ORCA/M assembler and utilities from the
desktop environment that comes with ORCA/C, ORCA/Pascal and
ORCA/M for the Apple IIGS comes with a complete reference manual
that includes tutorial chapters that make learning the development
environment fast and easy. The reference section which follows gives
you details about the system, including the powerful set of macros
that come with ORCA/M. This reference section is organized for easy
access, so you can find the information you need quickly.
Here are just some of the major features you'll find in
- Supports the 6502, 65C02 and 65816.
- Assembles up to 5000 lines per minute on an unaccelerated
- Supports partial assembly for even faster turnaround of
- Full macro capabilities, including:
- Macro libraries.
- Global communication between macros.
- Pass strings to macros.
- Macros can call other macros.
The Macro Libraries
ORCA/M comes with an extensive macro and subroutine library to get
you going quickly. It includes:
- Formatted input and output of numbers and strings.
- 2, 4 and 8 byte integer math, including add, subtract,
multiply, divide, square root, comparisons and random
- Complete ProDOS, GS/OS and toolbox macros, including Apple's
original macros and our custom macros with high-level language
- Many more utility macros.
The Development Environment
- Full screen text editor that edits up to 10 files, with file
lengths limited only by available memory.
- Powerful command driven shell works like UNIX, but uses
familiar Applesoft command names.
- Supports I/O redirection and pipes.
- A fully scriptable shell lets you write shell programs for
- Online help lists commands and tells you how to use each
- Expandable - add our Utility Pack #1 or write your own shell
- Comes with Apple's GSBug, the machine language debugger of
- Includes Apple's Rez resource compiler for developing desktop
Four 3.5-inch disk images in Disk Copy 4.2 format, plus the complete manual in both ASCII text and Adobe Acrobat (PDF) formats.
System 5.0.4 or later
1.25 MB memory (2 MB recommended)
One 3.5" disk drive (hard drive required for full use)
This product was added to our catalog on Thursday 29 November, 2007.